How does google deal with words inside words?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by JenniferRodriquez, Jul 9, 2019.

1. JenniferRodriquez

JenniferRodriquez New Member

This may be a pretty basic question altough i was not able to find any useful answers via google..
    When i try to optimize a specific keyword, for example "stupid" and for some reason have to use "stupidquestion" as an anchor instead, does it effect my ranking on "stupid" positive anyway? How big is the difference?
    And another question: would the effect be better with "stupid-question" as anchortext?
    Thx for your help in advance.

2. Charles T

Charles T Administrator

@JenniferRodriquez haha, I appreciate your self-deprecating example. I don't think it's a stupid/basic question though - these are the little nuances in Search that are often overlooked. My short answer (using your example) is that any variations like "stupidquestion" and "stupid-question" are preferable, positively, to always using just "stupid" in your anchor text. The degree of difference is debatable, as Google's proprietary (and ever evolving) algorithms for ranking are not made public; however, the difference HAS been proven to be positive in practice. Read on below for more context.

According to Moz (a free SEO ranking indicator tool/blog that we often use ourselves - and great Chrome plugin too, btw), search engines use external anchor text (text other pages use to link to your site) as a reflection of how other people view your page - and by extension, what your pages may be about. While website owners typically can't control how other sites link to theirs, you can make sure that anchor text you use within your own site is useful, descriptive, and relevant. This is the best approach from a broader sense.

Re: Anchor text keyword density specifically - with the Penguin algorithm update, Google began to look more closely at keywords in anchor text. If too many of a site's inbound links contain the exact same anchor text, it can start to appear suspicious and may be a sign that the links weren't acquired naturally. In general, it's still a best practice to obtain and use keyword- and topic-specific anchor text when possible. However, SEOs may get better results by striving for a variety of more natural anchor text phrases rather than the same keyword each time.

Along those lines, one important note: Don't overdo it with keyword-heavy internal links. Internal linking is certainly a recommended best practice, but be careful with the anchor text you use to link your own pages together. If too many links to a page all use the same anchor text, even if they're on your own site, Google might sense spammy behavior.

leo likes this.