Question about EIN for S Corp

Discussion in 'LLC Formation' started by JClauer, Oct 11, 2011.

  1. JClauer

    JClauer New Member

    When setting up my companies tax EIN, is there additional paper work needed to set up a S corp? If so what is the purchase?

  2. Reece

    Reece Member

    Thanks for the post! Our contact, Pat at Traverse Legal has been notified of your query and hopefully will be able to answer this question for you.

  3. leo

    leo Member

    J- Just to clarify, are you asking what paperwork is required to create an S corp and then get an EIN for it, or are you asking what paperwork needs to be filed to get an EIN if you have already created the S Corp?

  4. paralegal1

    paralegal1 New Member

    Hello Leo,

    Enrico Schaefer, the founding partner at Traverse Legal provides this advise:

    First you file for a S Corp or LLC. Then you file additional paperwork with the IRS to receive your federal tax ID number. The cost of setting up a S-Corp depends on a variety of variables, the most important of which is how many shareholders/members will be involved. Single member companies are easier to deal with. You should plan on between $250-$1,500 dollars to get all the paperwork prepared and filed by an attorney.

    Enrico Schaefer

  5. JClauer

    JClauer New Member

    Hey Leo, yes the s corp is already set up. Trying to find out if there is additional paper work to be filed to get an EIN for being an s corp?

  6. directinc_becky

    directinc_becky New Member

    Hey JClauer,

    The IRS website has a really easy online application for EINs - Let me know if you have any questions, but the instruction provided are actually really useful. The site will provide you your federal tax ID number when you complete the application, and then the IRS will send you the paperwork in the mail. After you obtain your EIN you will need to file Form 2553 to elect to be an S-Corp. Instructions are here:

    Depending on your state (for example, New Jersey & New York) you may also need to file an S-Corp election form with them.

    Hope this helps!

    Becky Canary-King

    *** Direct Incorporation (a division of Enitia Corporation) is not a law firm and no one at Direct Incorporation can act as your attorney or provide you with legal or financial advice. The information provided by Direct Incorporation is given for general informational purposes only and should not serve as a substitute for legal advice. All parties who correspond with employees of Direct Incorporation (a division of Enitia Corporation), or visit the site are bound by the terms and conditions on ***

  7. leo

    leo Member

    Great information Becky! You can also take a look at this How To, if you want some additional information:


Share This Page